Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

I Can't Believe I'm Saying This

It’s no secret that the last decade of my life has been pretty consumed with parenthood.   I’m so so thankful for that.  I can’t think of another job I’d trade it to have, at least on most days.

While it has stretched me, brought so much selfishness to light, and made me cry tears of both joy and pain, it has become a place where I feel comfortable.  I know my role as “mom” like the back of my hand.  I know how to make food, wipe bottoms, teach the abc’s, potty train, dance like no ones’ watching in our living room to princess songs, and I’ve even learned how to survive trips to the grocery store with four kids.   Believe me, I’m not going to be writing any parenting books or winning “parent of the year” by a LONG stretch, it’s just where my life is right now.

I like it that way most of the time.

I like to know what I’m doing and feel comfortable in my environment.  I think that is pretty natural, but God has a way of inserting change, challenges, and opportunities that stretch us beyond our comfort zone.  It’s good for us.  I know it’s been true over and over in my life as I’ve walked with Him.  When I’m uncomfortable, in a new place, unsure of myself, or a part of something God has orchestrated, I have to rely on Him.  There is absolutely no better place to be.  Surrender and dependence on Him ultimately lead to freedom, joy, and being truly alive.  I feel like this year has been full of those opportunities.

A couple of years ago my longtime friends, Vernon and Amber (through their organization, His Voice Global), opened a home for young girls in Kenya called, Lulu Place.

“The town of Maai Mahiu in Kenya consists of 5000 people and 600 prostitutes. That’s about 1 prostitute for every 8 people. Maai Mahiu is located on the “HIV highway” also known as “The AIDS belt” in Africa. The prostitutes, or CSWs (Commercial Sex Workers), are mostly made up of teens and young women.

These young women’s view of Christianity is a sad thing. They say some Christians judge them as being more sinful than the clients for whom they’re working, other church-goers are the clients for whom they’re working. Neither of these paint a desirable picture of Christianity to these girls.
We have helped create a Safe House, Lulu Place, to accommodate 8-12 young and vulnerable girls with the potential to fall into the trade of prostitution. Some of them have been orphaned; some of their mothers are currently working as prostitutes. Lulu Place will provide the girls with an education and teach them life skills to make a living working in a field other than prostitution.

Lulu Place carries out our mission in a number of vital ways. The girls who will be residing here will be equipped with education, safety, and an opportunity to live out a future void of prostitution. Lulu Place will be engaging the community and connecting it to the church.

We’re so excited about Lulu Place. Please be praying for a continued fruitful partnership between us and Rift Valley Fellowship, and for the future of these girls and Maai Mahiu.”

I still remember when they opened the doors two years ago.  I felt like my heart was there as Amber posted pictures and videos.  I am usually not so emotional about my friends’ adventures overseas.  It has been a decade since I left the country and I honestly haven’t had the itch to go.  As they opened Lulu Place I think that my heart was being awakened to God’s love for the orphan in a deeper way as we were engaged in foster care, and my eyes were being opened to the oppressed around the world.  I cried when I watched this…

Lulu Place Opening

I told her that someday I wanted to go with her if they needed people to go and serve on short term trips.  She has faithfully sent me text messages at least twice a year to see if I wanted to join her on one of the trips.  Every time it has felt like bad timing.  We had important court dates for Leah.  We were getting ready to move.  We had just moved.  Then there is the ever present problem of not enough time or money to feel like it’s a good time to go.

So, I got a text from her once again over a month ago about the next trip in April.  I didn’t respond.  She sent one last “no pressure” text on Valentine’s Day to see if I was interested.  My plan was to maybe mention it to Jeff so he could confirm that is was a no go.

Well, he beat me to the punch but with a very different angle on the question.

He said, “I saw the text from Amber about Kenya.  What are you thinking about that?”

I said, “I’m thinking it’s not very far away and it’s a lot of money to raise between now and then.”

His response, “Weeeeell, I’ve been keeping a little bit of a financial secret from you.  When we got our tax return last year I set $1000 aside for you to go on a trip at some point.  I just want you to think about it and pray about it.”

You guys, listen.  In the middle of a renovation and move there have been plenty of opportunities to use that money elsewhere.  I totally would have.  I struggle with it even now.   I said, “but what about the very long list of things that we need to do to the house?”  He said, “there will always be projects.”  I said, “what about my dental work?”  He said, “we’ll figure that out.”  We have dipped into other buckets in the budget, but he has not touched that money because of his love for me and desire for me to go.  That is the best Valentine’s Day gift he has ever given me.  Even if the trip never happened, it was the best gift.  It has reaffirmed to me that he wants me to be who God has created me to be, and to love and follow Him in every season of life, even if it means sacrifice for himself.  This is a big deal financially AND logistically.

Even after that, I still wasn’t completely sure if I should go.

Last Saturday we were visiting with my grandmas and my sister at my parent’s house.  I thought, I should probably just mention this to them in case I end up saying yes.  It is way better to have these conversations face to face.  I’m sure they are going to think this is crazy, but they will at least get to hear a sweet story about how amazing Jeff can be.  Ha!   I’m so sorry for selling them short, because all of them were supportive.  I left feeling like maybe, perhaps, I am supposed to say yes but I was not ready to say that out loud.

It still felt scary and big.

As we were leaving, my dad came out to the van and handed me a 20 dollar bill.  He said, “your nephew wants you to have this for your Africa trip.”

DONE.  Stick a fork in me.  That was it.  I don’t even know if he was in the room when I told them about it.  My sister may have just mentioned it to him as they were getting in their car to leave, but for a 13 year old boy to immediately reach in his wallet and give his own $20 to his aunt is one of the sweetest things ever.  My sister chipped in too and said, “if this is God’s will we want to help.”  I have an amazing family.  I am thankful once again that as God leads us to do something that some would call a little crazy, they cheer us on.  Foster care or going overseas, they want us to follow God’s voice.  I don’t take that gift for granted.

So, I’m going to Kenya.  {{Insert hyperventilation as I type that}}

I’M GOING TO KENYA!!!

I get to set my feet down on African soil, April 22-30.  We will be leading a women’s conference for the ladies of Rift Valley Fellowship and also spending some time with the girls and boys at Lulu Place and Way of Hope.

Ella is excited for me to go.  Micah and Avery are currently working through their fears of me getting bitten by snake, run over, trampled by a rhino, or eaten by a tiger.  The last fear is virtually impossible and exposes our need to study geography before I leave.

It will be hard for me to leave them, but I know this is good for them too.  I want our kids to live fearlessly for Jesus.  I want them to go where He sends them and to love people of all nations.  I want them to be adventurous, not just for the sake of a thrill, but for the sake of the Gospel.

I hope it will be easier for them to say yes someday because Jeff and I said yes first.  I am not ready to pack my bags and move across the ocean at this point, but maybe they will.  Maybe we will years down the road.  I don’t know.

I just want us to live with our yes on the table to God.  

We’ll let Him write the story.  It always works best that way.

So, if you will pray for our whole family as we prepare, as I go, and as Jeff stays behind with the kids we would be so grateful.  It will be an adventure for Jeff in a whole different way.  I know he can totally handle it, but it will be hard!

I also have a little more support to raise to cover the cost of my trip.  The total cost of our trip will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $2300.  If you feel like God is nudging you, and only if GOD is nudging you, I would appreciate the help!  Here is the link where you can give directly.  Just click on my name from the drop down menu.  All donations will be tax deductable.

Thanks as always, for following along and loving our family.  We are so thankful for the friends and family that God has given us.  You help us obey and run after Him.  You are our village.  What a gift you are to us.



No comments:

Post a Comment