Pages

Monday, March 16, 2015

I'm A Summer Mom

I posted on Facebook the other day that I am a much better spring and summer mom.  It's really true.  More accurately, I've decided that I'm a better spring and summer human.

We have been in hibernation mode since last last November.  Cold weather, gray skies, shorter days, and sickness make me want to do one thing...nothing.  I just want to stay home until it's 60 degrees again.  I don't really enjoy getting out in general when it's cold, and I despise it when I have to load and unload a van full of kiddos.  It's so dreadful (and I'm a big baby).  I told Jeff last November that I am kind of tired of celebrating our anniversary in the cold.  We picked November to get married with no thought of this at all.  How shortsighted.  We may need to change our anniversary to July.

I do love the snow though.  I love watching it fall from inside my house while I sip on a hot cup of coffee.  It's so beautiful.  Despite it's beauty I do need to admit something that I've held in since childhood.  Here is my secret: I've never loved sledding, building snowmen, or having snowball fights. Not even as a kid. There you go.  I felt like it was wrong to be a small town Missouri girl and not love all of that.  It's how everyone had fun and survived the cold months in a farming community.  So, I faked it every winter when friends would invite me over to go sledding.  Everyone would be having a great time, squealing with laughter, while I was trying to convince myself not to focus on the snow that got in between my gloves and coat that felt like it was giving me frostbite.  All I could think about on the long walk back up the hill in my marshmallow man gear was, "Are we done yet?"   I even tried my hand at skiing once and snowmobiling on another occasion.  My memories from those experiences consist of people laughing at me and fearing for my life.  What a blast.  Go ahead you cold weather fans.  It's all yours.  I'm just not cut out for it.  

Then kids who love playing in the snow came along.  Without any discussion between Jeff and I, somehow I managed to assume the role of "All Time Picture Taker and Hot Cocoa Maker."  You cannot hold a camera well with gloves and it's an event that needs to be documented.  Also, someone has to get the hot cocoa ready for when everyone comes back in.  It's a tradition and traditions are the stuff childhood memories are made of.  I also help them get their layers of clothes on, endure the whining in that process, and clean up the wet sloppy mess that they bring back in after their adventures.  It seems like a fair trade in my opinion.

The real problem with winter is being in the house too much, because I tend to lose my focus on some things.  I am overly bothered by the clutter, dust, dirty bathrooms, and my kids (I know one of these things is not like the others).  I have such a hard time focusing on playing and being present with my kiddos when we're stuck inside.  I cannot tell you what an inward battle it is for me to lay down my to do list and just play.  When we can get outside I forget about it and they don't drag out every toy they own.  It's not even the toys that bother me, but the deal we go through when it's time to clean up.  Life sucking.  I know some of it would be solved by having a better system in place, but the work to get a system in place takes tenacity that I seem to lack.  Maybe someday.

But, oh sweet deliverance.  Just like every year, God in His faithfulness brings spring once again.  We have had a stretch of warm days since the end of last week and I feel like a new person.  You guys, we went to the park 3 times in four days.  Jeff took them to the library (which we apparently deem a warm weather activity.)  We remembered that we have an actual yard and we have had 3 picnics.  I can't keep this pace but our kids are loving it.  Their hope for a happy life has returned.   If it's warm outside I say yes about 90% more than I do in the winter.  They fall in love with me again and think to themselves, "She's really not that bad, I guess."  It's legit.  This weather makes us want summer to be here tomorrow.  I love taking them to the pool, going to the park, or dragging out the sprinkler in the yard.  Summer brings out my fun side.  I have a terrible imagination when it comes to pretending, but I'll take you to do fun things when it's hot outside.  I'm a summer mom.  Bring on the pool, the park, and our annual momentary brain lapse when we decide the zoo is a good idea again.  I'm so ready.








2 comments:

  1. Love this... I too think I am a better spring/summer mom. Partly, I think, because the winter is sooooooo long!

    ReplyDelete