Pages

Monday, April 14, 2014

Dynamite Comes in Small Packages

Over the last week, three Facebook posts have been thanks to a 24 pound, blond hair, blue eyed, two and a half year old little girl who lives in this house.  The third born of meek and mild Carson children. Here is a recap... 

NURSES or experienced parents: Ella just split her lip open pretty good. It seemed decently deep but the swelling it closing it shut now and the bleeding has slowed down. Top middle part of her lip. Do they usually do stitches in the mouth or do you think it will heal? I can message a picture if you want. I am so sick of urgent care right now so I am asking you guys first.

By 8 a.m. Ella was about 3 seconds away from a trip to the ER and a call to poison control. And while I panic she has this smirk on her face I wish you could see. Help us Jesus...help us BOTH survive her childhood. I am 100% not kidding.

In this week's edition of "What's Wrong Now?" Ella kicks things off with hives from head to toe. They appeared after we went outside yesterday and she didn't eat anything new. Any guesses?

  
Not all weeks are like this, but some are.  Adding to my dizziness on this merry go round of sickness our kids have been riding, Ella adds to the excitement with daring tricks and rashes that no one can figure out. This little package of dynamite came rushing into the world just 16 1/2 months after her big sister.  The clock struck midnight on her due date, which happened to be our seventh anniversary, and she barely let us make it to the hospital. Her whole first nine months of existence could be described by the phrase, "not as planned." 

Look at all those baby faces.

I knew it would be funny someday when we looked back on it, and it is.  At the time, even with genuine thankfulness in your heart for the life you carry, it's hard to see the humor in God's timing while you barely survive 2 months of nausea with unrelenting toddlers living in your house.  It was really a barrel of laughs trying to keep three needy children alive for the next year in a constant state of exhaustion.  Listen, they weren't more needy than other kids, they were just normal.  At the ripe old age of 4, 1 1/2, and brand spanking new, you don't possess a lot of life skills. You know, like the ability to dress yourself, wipe yourself, feed yourself, bathe yourself, get in a car by yourself, reach things for yourself, keep your hands to yourself, entertain yourself, see the needs of anyone but yourself, STAY IN BED BY YOURSELF...x3...you catch my flow?  I wasn't sure I was going to survive Ella's first year of life.  There were too many of them and too few of me.  Jeff couldn't quit his job to be home with me all of the time because then we wouldn't have a home.  This was my dilemma...sanity or a home to live in?  I'm only slightly exaggerating.  

Nothing but a good time.  I'm so glad I caught this on camera. :)

The second year of Ella's life brought some good things back into our life, like sleep and a stronger marriage (that's another post).  However, other things started to disappear from our lives, like knowing Ella wasn't climbing to the top of something the second you turned around.  She is a mixed bag of low maintenance living and a near heart attack. This super baby would fall asleep in the middle of the floor, lights on, and chaos surrounding her all of the time.  She also has an uncanny ability to go without food, by choice.  Ask anyone who I left her with as a baby and they may still be in a bad mood about having a full bottle and a baby who refused to drink it for hours on end.  I'm still sorry.  I have always joked that she could survive life on the streets with this skill set.  She doesn't need much to eat and she can sleep anywhere.  She also loves standing with her toes over the edge of high places, going fast, and seeing panic in her parent's eyes.  And this kid is witty. Even before she could verbalize her sense of humor she would smile after doing something ornery.  You could tell she knew she was being funny.  I cannot express how much I love who she is.  She makes me laugh even when I want to be mad.  I cannot wait to see who she will become as she grows up.  I hope God uses her passion and fearlessness for His glory.  Maybe she will turn out to be the most laid back kid of them all and this will be hilarious to look back on.  Dear God, please just let her make it to adulthood so we can.



1 comment:

  1. love it! she sounds like an absolute hoot (and a blessing)! and i have one that is almost but not quite like that!

    ReplyDelete